Thursday, July 22, 2010

Episode Cup, Round 3

Now that I've finished my final recap, I'm free to move on to other Lost-related business. First on my list is the DarkUFO Episode Cup. Every day (it'll probably end up being every few days but whatever), I'll break down the day's match up, explain what I picked in the bracket, why I voted the way I did and comment on the general Lost public's attitudes toward the two episodes in question. I'm running a few days behind where the Cup currently is right now, so I'll have a few notes on past match ups. Here we go.

Pilot vs. There's No Place Like Home
Picked: Pilot Voted: There's No Place Like Home

Easy pick, tough vote. The Pilot always does well in these cups, part out of nostalgia for where it all started, part because it really is a kick-ass episode. For a number of reasons, it's the best pilot I've ever seen, not least of which is the chaotic, heart-pumping opening scene. It deserves every bit of the praise it gets. On the other hand, "There's No Place Like Home" doesn't get the praise it deserves. Discounting "The End" (which I don't feel comfortable ranking just yet), it's the second best finale, which means it's definitely a top 10 episode. Probably a top 5 one. It loaded with great moments - the Sayid/Keamy fight, Sawyer jumping from the helicopter, Ben stabbing Keamy, the freighter explosion, Ben turning the wheel, the reveal of Locke in the coffin. I could go on and on about this one. I remember I actually needed to take a break after the freighter exploded. I was that emotionally drained. I can see why the majority picked the Pilot, but there aren't many episodes that top "There's No Place Like Home" and the Pilot just isn't one of them. I'll be sad to see it go.

Live Together, Die Alone vs. Greatest Hits
Picked: Live Together, Die Alone Voted: Live Together, Die Alone

Another easy match up to pick, but this one was even tougher to vote on than the last. Finales generally whomp anything in their path unless they come up against something like the Pilot or "The Constant", or maybe "Ab Aeterno" this year and knowing from past years experience that "Greatest Hits" didn't quite fall into that category, the pick was easy. The voting was harder for many of the same reasons that make finales so tough to topple in general. A two-hour episode has more time to pack awesome stuff in it. In "Live Together, Die Alone", we got a huge chunk of Desmond's backstory, Jack's trek into with Michael, Sawyer, Kate and Hurley, the coming-out party for the four-toed statue, and the long-awaited answer to the question, "What happens when the button isn't pushed?" That pushed it over the top for me. Even though "Greatest Hits" had some good heartstring-pulling moments (Nadia calling Charlie a hero, Charlie and Claire meeting for the first time, Charlie's speech to Desmond as he hands over his list), it wasn't quite enough to pass up the overall awesomeness that comes with a Lost finale like "Live Together, Die Alone".

Through the Looking Glass vs. The Candidate
Picked: Through the Looking Glass Voted: Through the Looking Glass

The Season 3 finale, "Through the Looking Glass" was the favorite coming into the Cup, and for good reason. Not only has it won this cup twice (the other winner being "The Constant"), but it really is the best episode of the series. It has everything you'd look for in a Lost episode: action, tragedy, an awesome twist, Taller Ghost Walt, and Ben getting the crap kicked out of him. Perfect. So it really says something that I thought for more than a split second about voting for "The Candidate". I loved that episode. Between the great Jack and Locke-centric Sideways story and the deaths of Sayid, Jin and Sun that had me as close to bawling as I've ever been watching TV, I'd put it near the top of Season 6. I think it could have knocked off some of the less popular finales like "There's No Place Like Home" or "Exodus", but unfortunately it went up against the biggest juggernaut of them all here in round three. I guess the Sweet Sixteen will be as far as it goes, but I'm sad to see it exit so early.

The Constant vs. The Substitute
Picked: The Constant Voted: The Constant

I'm not one of those Lost fans that puts "The Constant" on some untouchable pedestal. Don't get me wrong. It's great. Really, really great. The perfect blend of sci-fi craziness and what-the-eff moments all surrounding a touching, emotional core. But it's probably not in my top 5 and it might not even be my favorite Des episode (Flashes Before Your Eyes would be the competitor). Having said that, "The Substitute" isn't even close to knocking it off. Sure, it had some cool stuff, like all the Smokey and Sawyer stuff and the revelation of the Numbers, but that's not enough to take down "The Constant".

Tomorrow's match up should be very interesting and has the potential to make or break some brackets, since I'm guessing the winner will earn a spot in the Final Four. Maybe even the Final.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment